While going through my comments history of my blog to select old time readers for Day 6: Email an old Timer reader of the Blogging Challenge I realised that social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook are shifting the nature of blogging to a whole new phase. Why – because many of the people whose blogs I read or who leave comments on my site are interacting with me in Twitter and/or Facebook; and they are doing the same with their readers.
This means I communicate with many of them, in some form, on a daily basis so to actually email an old time reader and thank them is ……?
I asked the Twitterers their thoughts on if blogging shifting to a new phase
Here are comments by different people:
- Twitter forms more connecting relationships as most times you get an instant reply and is more conducive to have a conversation rather than comments on a blog
- The first people I added to my Twitter account were people whose blogs I read; I comment on blogs to blog posts, twitter to twitter posts; more likely to check out blogs more closely than reading in reader after following the blogger on twitter
- Twitter has made me closer to people I’m friends with online (most met through blogging)
- To some extent the blogging relationship for me has changed as a result of twitter
- Sometimes I’ll push a link into twitter if I think it may interest my twitter friends who I don’t think subscribe to my blog. I blog less and I think my twitter friends do also now because of twitter. I try to comment directly on posts, rather than to the author via twitter if I think something is particularly good or worth commenting…but will you twitter to discuss third party’s posts…which may well have previously gone on my blog or theirs.
- There is more connection with twitter
- Not overall – not many twitterers compared to blog readers. But some are changing this and my tweet list is mainly my blog list! I think we are creating a change. Same question in 6 months will have a different answer
- People are becoming aware of my blog through twitter
How it has impact on me
Twitter and Facebook has created more connection with my readers and subscribers to my podcast but in doing so I feel that I have become less inclined to comment on their really good posts. It is like I am taking my friends for granted – and expected them to realise that I think they are fantastic. Sorry every one!!
Here is my explanation of why I am:
What are your thoughts?
Do you believe blogging is entering a new phase? And if so, how will this impact on the different types of bloggers?